Friday, April 11, 2008

Mom's Oatmeal Molasses Bread

Mom didn't cook or bake often for us, so when she did it was extra special. I don't know whether my sister remembers this...


...But I bet she wants some now!

I found this recipe buried in a stained cookbook in my Mom's basement years ago and copied it into a Word document. Somehow it has survived countless data migrations and hardware upgrades. Now I've printed it on REAL paper, so even if the latest hard drive has a meltdown (please no, please no) it will survive for the next generation [of fruit flies].



Mom's Oatmeal Molasses Bread

- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 and 2/3 cups flour (mix whole wheat and all-purpose flour)

Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in quick oats and butter. Let stand for one hour. Soak yeast in lukewarm water for 5 minutes. Stir until dissolved and add molasses, salt, and oatmeal mixture. Stir thoroughly and add flour. Knead for 8 - 10 minutes. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk. Divide into 2 pieces and mold into 2 loaves of bread. Let rise in a warm place, covered with a towel, until doubled in size. Bake at 375 F for ~ 35 minutes.


Your bread should definitely rise more than mine. I'm pretty sure I used expired yeast, because normally it rises a lot more. Another 'flat' error can be from using too much whole wheat flour - only go so far as 50-50.

Do be sure to proof your yeast, then email me a picture of your beautiful golden loaves!


No comments: